Based on Henley Passport Index, Asian countries lead the list of powerful passports in the world for the beginning of 2019. Japan has the strongest passport when it comes to visa-free travel, with access to 190 destinations. Singapore and South Korea follow closely behind, tying for the second spot with access to 189 destinations. France and Germany however, tie for the third place, offering access to 188 countries.
The Henley Passport Index uses data from International Air Transport Association to identify how many destinations passport holders in any country can access without first obtaining a visa. The index is updated in real time throughout the year to reflect visa policy changes.
Below are the Top 12 powerful passports in the world.
- Japan = 190
2. Singapore and South Korea = 189
3. France and Germany = 188
4. Denmark, Finland, Italy and Sweden = 187
5. Luxembourg and Spain = 186
6. Austria, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States = 185
7. Belgium, Canada, Greece, Ireland = 184
8. Czech Republic = 183
9. Malta = 182
10. Australia, Iceland and New Zealand = 181
11. Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia = 180
12. Estonia, Malaysia = 179